Skip to main content
Kevin C. Hoyt

Kevin Hoyt’s Answers

3 total

  • What's the difference between conventional and FHA loans?

    I am trying to finance a house with NVR mortgage. Based on my credit score my loan officer told me that I would be better off getting a FHA loan instead because I will pay a lot more if I got a conventional loan. What's the difference between the ...

    Kevin’s Answer

    Congratulations on your new home. Conventional loan products and FHA loan products do differ, your officer should be able to show you a comparison in the different costs. I suggest the following material provided by HUD to assist in obtaining the best mortgage for you:

    See question 
  • I live in Rochester NY, and am looking to start up from home a cake decorating business. Is this legal to do?

    I have previously made cakes for free for family and friends. But many have suggested I sell my cakes as well.

    Kevin’s Answer

    Yes, you can start a business in New York to decorate cakes. You will need to comply with local and state health department regulations/laws and will want to complete your due diligence from the “business side” as well. There are additional factors that may also be important to consider, among them, if your home is located within a municipality that requires business permits (such as the City of Rochester) or an Association that may limit/restrict home businesses.

    Starting a new business can be a daunting process, but with the right team of professionals assisting you, it is much more manageable.

    See question 
  • Naming a business without

    Hi all, my question is, I want to open a new business the name would be like iComp, or iStore etc. how can I know before if this name is already trademarked. by apple or another company.

    Kevin’s Answer

    When starting a new business, it is important to have properly conducted your due diligence, and this case, your are correct in questioning the use of your preferred names. The best course of action is to consult with a local attorney who can verify name availability with the New York State Department of State, and more specifically, address your concern of possible infringement on intellectual property rights.

    See question