Skip to main content
Chris Edward Gafner

Chris Gafner’s Answers

2 total

  • What happens to an immigrant's status if they get divorced 1 year after getting married to a U.S. citizen?

    I am a Canadian living in the US with a green card I got from my marriage. I got married about 1 year ago, and am about to get divorced. What will happen to my immigration status after the divorce?

    Chris’s Answer

    I agree with the comments made by the attorneys above (Mr. Reich, Ms. Schneider, and Ms. Beach). However, I would emphasize that it is important to speak with an experienced immigration attorney about your situation. For example, during the year since Mr. Reich first answered this question, the immigration agency has issued new guidance memoranda about the I-751 "Removal of Conditions" waiver.

    Failure to follow the immigration agency's new guidance may have a negative impact on your petition. It is imperative that you contact an experienced immigration attorney to ensure that your waiver petition complies with current immigration agency policy.

    See question 
  • Are there any good lawyers that do both criminal defense and immigration?

    My friend is in jail and she has been a citizen for 11 years but she has an immigration hold on her i think because she has gotten a few felonies, she is in jail now on 2 warrants one is a 5yr prohbation revoke the charge is delivery/man. 1 to 4 ...

    Chris’s Answer

    The facts that you give do not appear to be compatible with each other. If your friend is a U.S. citizen then there should be no "immigration hold." I suggest you contact a local attorney who is knowledgeable in criminal and immigration law. You may need to contact two different attorneys - one knowledgeable in criminal law and one knowledgeable in immigration law.

    Good luck - your friend is lucky to have a friend who cares about her.

    See question