Amanda Cooper’s Answers

Amanda Cooper

New Bedford Family Law Attorney.

Contributor Level 5
  1. My husband and i have decided to get a divorce. we have already split everything and it will remain a peaceful divorce.

    Answered about 4 years ago.

    1. Amanda Cooper
    1 lawyer answer

    Hello, Do you plan on retaining counsel? If so, your attorney will guide you through the process and file the petition for divorce. If you and your spouse agree that there has been an irretrievable breakdown of the marriage and to all major aspects of the divorce, (i.e. custody, settlement of personal property and real estate, child support, alimony, etc) you would file a Petition for Divorce under M.G.L. 208 1A. In addition, you will need to file several other supporting documents...

    1 person marked this answer as helpful

  2. Can he get custody

    Answered about 4 years ago.

    1. Philip W. Mason
    2. Amanda Cooper
    2 lawyer answers

    Hello, Both Attorneys provided excellent answers to your question regarding modifying the custody agreement regarding your children. I would also lke to add that you may want to consider reporting your ex-spouse's threats to the police if you feel that you are in danger. The court will always assess the best interest of the child when granting custody in any situation.

  3. Can i move out of state with my 2 children with out the permission of their father?

    Answered about 4 years ago.

    1. Jonas A Jacobson
    2. Gabriel Cheong
    3. Amanda Cooper
    3 lawyer answers

    Hello, The answer to your question depends on a number of factors. The first thing you will need to do is determine weather the father has shared legal custody or visitation rights. Does the father visit with the children? If the father decides to prohibit you from removing the children from the Commonwealth, you will need to be prepared to show that the move is in the best interests of the children. Some factors that you will need in favor of the move include, showing that you have a job in...