Stephen J Spano’s Answers

Stephen J Spano

Saugus Elder Law Attorney.

Contributor Level 6
  1. How can an adult child of a 78 year old parent take legal action to have them committed to a home?

    Answered about 2 years ago.

    1. Thomas J Callahan
    2. Brian C. Snell
    3. Henry Lebensbaum
    4. Stephen J Spano
    5. E. Alexandra Golden
    6. ···
    6 lawyer answers

    The other answers are correct in that you should seek out an attorney in Ohio. There are many excellent board certified elder law attorneys in Ohio that practice extensively in the guardianship ares. If you have trouble locating one, please let me know.

    6 lawyers agreed with this answer

  2. Grantee passed away Grantor has a life estate

    Answered about 2 years ago.

    1. Joseph L. Morana
    2. Michael J. Tobin
    3. Emma A. Kremer
    4. Dagmar Pollex
    5. Stephen J Spano
    5 lawyer answers

    The other attorneys are correct. You absolutely need the assistance of an elder law firm that is expert in the new MUPC (probate law), current Medicaid (MassHealth) regulations, estate recovery and creditor issues.

    5 lawyers agreed with this answer

  3. Will my mother have to sell her home in order to pay for my father to live the rest of his life in a nursing home?

    Answered almost 3 years ago.

    1. E. Alexandra Golden
    2. Edward H Adamsky
    3. Stephen J Spano
    3 lawyer answers

    Both Sasha and Ed are correct. Your mother will not be forced out of the home. While a present emergency may not exist, failure to act very soon could result in problems for your mother and especially your sister, later, including the loss of the home. Prompt action may also be able to eliminate court involvement if your father has inadequate or no estate planning in place. Sincerely, Stephen Spano

    3 lawyers agreed with this answer

    1 person marked this answer as helpful

  4. My mom was told in order to place my dad in a nursing home she has to give up his pension and life ins before they will take him

    Answered over 2 years ago.

    1. Brian C. Snell
    2. Stephen J Spano
    3. Christopher W. Vaughn-Martel
    4. David J. McCormick
    5. James Schuster
    5 lawyer answers

    With appropriate and timely planning your mother will be able to keep the entire value of your father's life insurance and may be able to keep the entire value of his pension. Work with her to locate a qualified elder law attorney to help her immediately.

    3 lawyers agreed with this answer

  5. What kind of tax will I need to pay on the sale of this house?

    Answered about 3 years ago.

    1. Christopher Michael Larson
    2. Edward H Adamsky
    3. Scott D Rosenberg
    4. Brian E Barreira
    5. Steven J. Fromm
    6. ···
    6 lawyer answers

    All the answers are good but the question itself is ambiguous. Did your father die as well? if so, was it before the house was sold? If your father died before the house was sold and if your mother died in March 2011 and if the house was sold in August 2011, then Ed Adamsky's response is the most correct. If all of the assumptions in my answer are correct, then, depending upon the agreement, which defines the extent of your mother and father's retained interest to possess, enjoy or retain...

    3 lawyers agreed with this answer

Let our family help your family.