Skip to main content

Failure to appear in traffic court

Failure to appear in traffic court on your assigned court date may result in license suspension, criminal charges for failure to appear, and other consequences.

George Wilmarth Nickel III | Mar 28, 2019

15% of North Carolina Drivers are driving on a Suspended Drivers License.

NC Data from Duke Law School “[I]n this analysis of North Carolina data, we found that there are 1,225,000 active driver’s licenses suspensions in North Carolina for non-driving related reasons, relating to failure to pay traffic fines and court courts, and failure to appear in court for traffic offenses. These suspensions constitute about 15% of all adult drivers in the state. Of those, 827,000 are for failure to appear in court, 263,000 for failure to comply with orders to pay traffic costs, fines, and fees, and 135,000 for both. These suspensions are disproportionately imposed on minority residents. Of those with driver’s license suspensions, 33% of those with failure to appear suspensions are black and 24% Latinx, while 35% were white.” Wake County Driving While Suspended License Info In Wake County court costs and fines for speeding tickets generally range from $188 to $263. For those who do not show up or pay their costs they can find their license is suspended. Often the DMV will mail notice of the suspension but the individual will not receive the letter and could be driving with a suspended license for months or even years without knowledge of the suspension. Contact a Raleigh DWLR Lawyer If you are charged with driving while license revoked (DWLR) or driving on a suspended license in Wake County, North Carolina we can help. Contact The Law Offices of Wiley Nickel, PLLC for a free consultation to learn more about how we can help get you back on the road with a valid license. Our office is located in Cary, NC and we can be reached at 919-585-1486.

Jean Kathryn Humbrecht | Feb 8, 2019

What Happens If I Miss a Court Date in Virginia?

Tried and Convicted in Absence If you fail to show up to a court date for a traffic or criminal charge in Virginia, you could be tried and convicted in your absence. In order to do this, the Commonwealth Attorney must waive jail-meaning, they will not be asking for a jail sentence if the person is convicted. The judge will impose a penalty, usually a fine, and court costs are assessed to every case that results in a conviction. Failure to pay court costs within 30 days could result in driver's license suspension by the DMV. Additionally, some offenses result in mandatory DMV demerit points upon conviction. Show Cause Another possible result of failing to show up for your court date in Virginia is that the judge could issue a Rule to Show Cause why you should not be convicted for Failure to Appear. This is an additional charge which can result in a separate conviction as well as a possible additional jail sentence. Bench Warrant for Arrest Failing to show up for a court date in Virginia for a traffic or criminal case can also result in the judge issuing a bench warrant for your arrest for Failing to Appear, which is a separate charge from the underlying offense. If there is a bench warrant issued, you could be arrested any time for Failing to Appear on your court date. It will be difficult to get a bond on this charge and you will likely remain in jail until your next court date. Failing to Appear on a misdemeanor charge will be charged as an additional misdemeanor, and Failing to Appear on a Felony charge will be charged as a felony. Bond Revocation In addition to facing new criminal charges, failing to appear at a court date can result in the person's bond being revoked. This means that the person will be held in jail until the charges are resolved, even though he or she may have paid a monetary bond for release.

Samantha Mary Birkner | May 24, 2016

How to Get Back on the Road San Diego - California's Traffic Ticket Amnesty Program

Amnesty Program California Vehicle Code ?42008.8 is a traffic ticket amnesty program that will reinstate driver's licenses that are suspended for failure to appear and/or failure to pay traffic fines. The driver's license reinstatement will occur upon the license holder's entry into a payment plan for outstanding fines. What is it? It is a one-time amnesty program for people who have court debt from unpaid fines on old tickets and for people who had their driver's license suspended due to a missed payment or missed court date. The program will allow people to both reduce their overall amount owed to the court or collections agency, and get their driver's license back immediately. Can I participate in the program? Any persons eligible to have a driver's license, including undocumented individuals who are eligible for a driver's license under AB 60, are entitled to participate in the traffic amnesty program if they meet the eligibility requirements. There are two groups of people who can participate in the amnesty program: Persons with unpaid tickets whose bail or fines were originally due to be paid on or before January 1, 2013 and who are not current with payments, may be eligible to have both their debt reduced by 50 or 80 percent, depending on income, and the hold on their driver's license released. Persons who were delinquent, but are currently making payments or become current at the date of the request, are not eligible for a reduction, but may be eligible to have the "failure to appear or pay" notification removed from their driving record. What does that mean? It means that if you have unpaid tickets, bail or fines that were originally due before January 1, 2013, and you have are not currently making payments on that ticket, you can apply for the amnesty program and depending on your eligibility or your income your the total amount you owe the court for the unpaid tickets/bail/fines may be reduced by half or up to 80% AND the hold on your driver's license (as it pertains to that ticket) will be released. What if I am making payments on a payment plan? Then, you belong to the second group who can apply for amnesty. If you are currently making payments as of October 1, 2013, you will not qualify for a debt reduction. While you will not be eligible to have the debt reduced, you will be able to have the "failure to appear or pay" notification removed from your driving record. However, you will qualify for a license reinstatement if you got a suspension because of a previous missed payment or a missed court date. What makes me ineligible for amnesty? If you who owe restitution to a victim, you will not be eligible to apply for the amnesty program. Also, if you have an outstanding misdemeanor or felony warrant in San Diego County, you will also not be eligible for the amnesty program. If you are currently making payments on your case and have made payments since September 2015, you will not be eligible to apply for the amnesty program. Parking tickets too? No, Parking tickets are not eligible. What if my ticket was not related to driving? You might qualify! Amnesty is available for both traffic and non-traffic infractions--as long as it was handled by the traffic court. In some counties, non-traffic infractions can include quality of life citations like sleeping on the sidewalk, jaywalking, loitering, or fare evasion. What about driving related or other Misdemeanors? No, most misdemeanors, including driving under the influence (DUIs) and reckless driving, are not eligible. Other serious offenses will not be included in the program. If I am found to be eligible for the amnesty program, how much will my fines be reduced? All persons who apply for the amnesty program are eligible for a 50% reduction in outstanding fines. If the court fines that you are low-income, the amnesty program will reduce up to 80% of the outstanding fines. Civil assessments for failures to pay and failures to appear will also be deducted and will not have to be paid. How do I get an 80% reduction on my fines? If the court finds you are eligible for amnesty, the court may grant you an 80% reduction in fines if you are low income or on public assistance such as: Supplementary Security Income (SSI); State Supplementary Payment (SSP); In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS); CalFresh (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program); Tribal Temporary Assistance for Need Families (TANF); County Relief, General Relief or General Assistance; CalWORKs; CAsh Assistance Program for Immigrants (CAPI) and Medical are examples of what can qualify you for an additional reduced of the eligible fine. Even with the reduction, I can't afford to pay that much up front. Is there a payment plan? Yes. Your monthly payment amounts will depend on your ability to pay. The court is required to look at your ability to pay when setting up a payment plan. Are there any fees? A $50 Amnesty Program Fee will be charged for each eligible participant. This fee will be added to the first payment or lump sum amount you are asked to make as an installment payment of your reduced amount of fines. In addition, the Department of Motor Vehicles will also charge a $55 Driver's License Reinstatement fee, if it applies. How long does the program last? People can opt into this program between: October 1, 2015 - March 31, 2017. The program, which will run from October 1, 2015 through March 31, 2017, was created as an incentive for people to resolve infraction-related delinquencies. Disclaimer This response is a general discussion of legal principles by a California lawyer. Additionally, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship, since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information. Finally, the above is not intended as legal advice, since it's impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details and facts, as well as a complete and thorough review of the discovery in the case. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting.

Erin H. Gerstenzang | Aug 5, 2015

How to Address an FTA Suspension in the Municipal Court of Atlanta

How do I find out if I have an FTA, and what are the next steps? If you think you missed a court date and you are trying to find out if the Court has issued a Failure to Appear ("FTA"), which usually coincides with a license suspension, you can visit the link "FTA List" below to search your name on the Court's website. You can hire a lawyer to assist you with lifting the FTA or you can handle it yourself. If you want to handle it yourself you should be in touch with the Court for current instructions on what the next steps are. Often the Court has regularly scheduled "FTA Calendars." You can request to be added to the next FTA calendar, usually by speaking directly with someone in the Clerk's Office. At the FTA calendar you will have an opportunity to explain why you were unable to attend court. How much will the fine be? There is normally a $100.00 FTA fine imposed by the Court. The Judge will decide on a case-by-case basis whether to impose or waive this fine. This fine does not include the fine for the underlying traffic ticket. How do I clear up an FTA suspension It would be a mistake to assume that after you have paid your $100.00 FTA fine, your license will automatically be reinstated. The Court will not always notify DDS that the FTA has been lifted. In order to prevent or lift a looming suspension, you must get a DS-912 form from the court clerk (confirm that it is a certified copy with a court seal) and submit it to the Department of Driver Services. This should address any pending suspension issues.

David Milton Dastrup | Jun 16, 2015

Clear License Suspension from Failure to Appear on a Traffic Ticket

Failure to Appear When someone fails to appear in court by the date on the bottom of the ticket, the court will send them a notice of collections, also called a courtesy notice. From the day of mailing, the person has ten days to set up a new court date or appear in court before a civil assessment of $300 is added. However, Los Angeles County also adds Vehicle Code counts right away in many cases, including 40509.5 and 40508, for failing to appear, which can add several hundred additional dollars to the cost of your ticket Different courts have different rules about how to see a judge. Some judicial officers are sympathetic to defendants who fail to appear. However, usually, without a valid excuse-military service, hospitalized, jailed, the failures to appear remain. Many judges will reduce the total costs, probably because they know it is absurd to be charge $1200 for a ticket that was originally $240. If you do not resolve your case, a hold will remain on your DMV record. Usually, this means that you will not be able to renew your license when it comes time for renewal. However, you may receive a letter from the DMV that gives you a date when your license will be suspended if not resolved ASAP. If you have two FTA/CIVAs, then your license is going to be suspended for sure, but you will still get a notice letter from the DMV giving you the date the suspension will take place. The notice from the DMV is important because to convict someone on a charge for driving on a suspended license requires knowledge of the suspension. There is a presumption of knowledge if the letter was mailed to the address the defendant has on file with the DMV. Underlying Case First, the judicial officer will ask if you want to plead guilty and pay your fines. If you do not, they you better know what else to do. You still have rights, but the court will hold your drivers license over your head (a DMV hold can result in a suspension of your license) until your case is resolved. Maybe you can take traffic school. Maybe you want to set your case for trial. You must decide what you want to do with the underlying case. However, in Los Angeles County at this time, they are only releasing DMV holds if you resolve your case the same day. Abstract to DMV to Lift Hold After you resolve your case, the court will send a notice to the DMV to lift any hold on your driving privilege. You must then go to the DMV and pay a re-issue fee of $55, in most cases. Then you will get your license back.