Written by attorney Julie Ann Hauge Rice

Worker's Compensation Law in Georgia and Florida; in FL you are faced with losing your job forever.

You and your family rely on your income. One day you go to work and you are injured, or worse killed, on the job. This injury does not have to take place in a construction zone but can happen in the office as well with injuries such as carpal tunnel syndrome, for example. You need help, quickly!

Additional resources provided by the author

In order to recover under the Georgia State Board of Worker's Compensation Program, you must first be an employee of the company for which you are working. If you are 1099 (a/k/a) a temporary employee, then you should carry your own Worker's Compensation Insurance as you will most likely not be covered under the companies worker's compensation insurance policy. If you are injured on the job, or if a loved one has been tragically killed on the job, it is imperative that you notify the manager, owner, or supervisor of the injury or death. Then you need to notify a loved one who can help you in your situation. You will be asked to fill out paperwork and in your time of shock don't turn the blame on yourself. Remember, the employer is not looking out for you. You are looking out for you. Go to the doctor recommended by the employer and follow all instructions. Seek a second opinion as well from the physician of your choice and follow their recommendations as well. Apply for unemployment as soon as you are able and don't wait longer than a few days if possible. Do not admit ability under any circumstances. You may also see the State Board of Worker's Compensation in Georgia for a wealth of information. Finally, take pictures of the scene, or have your loved one take pictures if you are not able.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer