Written by attorney Thomas Patrick Gill Jr.

Will the Court appoint an attorney to represent my children in the divorce? Who pays for it?

Generally in Florida, a court will not appoint an attorney to represent your children in the divorce. However in a divorce, a court may appoint a guardian ad litem that may be an attorney in order to advocate on behalf of the children and not advocate on behalf of the parents. If a guardian ad litem is appointed, the court will determine which party will pay and perhaps both parties pay. The court can determine how much each party will pay.

Additional resources provided by the author

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Avvo child custody email series

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer