Written by attorney William Harvey Beck

Will the court appoint an attorney to represent my children in the divorce? If so, who...

Typically there's not an attorney that's appointed to represent the children. If the parents can agree on a time-sharing schedule and on the other issues in the divorce, then there's no need to involve a third party or another attorney. However, when the parties can't agree on a time-sharing schedule or there's been allegations of violence or abuse, then the court can appoint a guardian ad litem or perhaps a parenting time sharing coordinator to assist the court in making that type of decision. Generally speaking, these types of experts are paid for equally by both parents so that they're not considered to be biased towards the individual paying their fees against the one who's not. Typically, those fees are split 50/50.

Additional resources provided by the author

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Avvo child custody email series

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer