Skip to main content

Who Pays Child Support?

Posted by attorney Cassandra Savoy

If you have a child, you are obligated to the support the child. The non-custodial parent must pay support to the custodial parent, the parent with whom the child lives whether or not the parties are married. Child support must be paid even if the custodial parent earns ten times the salary of the non-custodial parents. One parent can not decide that they can afford to care for the child without the assistance of the other. In other words, you can't waive your right to support, and you can't bargain away the right to child support. For example, if you are getting divorced, you can't make a deal with your soon to be ex-husband to pay the school bill in lieu of child support. The right to support belongs to the child.

Author of this guide:

Was this guide helpful?

Filed under: Child support