Skip to main content

Where do you report your Income and Expenses from Rental Properties

The income and expenses that you receive from a rental property are reported on Schedule E of your form 1040 if you own the property personaly (Not owned by an entity).

The complete address of the property must now be reported on this form. You can report up to 3 properties per form and if you have more than this just start a new form. There are various line items for the expenses on the form and if you have one that does not seem to fit report it as an other expense and attach a detailed schedule.

You will also report your depreciation on this form and attach a schedule that shows the detail for your calculation.

If your final result for your rental property is a loss, then you will have to follow the passive loss rules to determine whether you can deduct the loss.

Rate this guide

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer