Written by attorney Jon H Powell

When can a non-parent be ordered to pay child support? When can a non-parent be awarded custody?

When a person is acting "in loco parentis", the Court may order that person, who is not a biological parent, to pay child support. Also, a non-parent may be awarded custody of a child in circumstances when the biological parent has abandoned, deserted, is unfit, or is a danger to the child.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Avvo child custody email series

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer