Written by attorney Alexander Barrett Ramey

What To Expect If You Are Arrested in Florida for Possession of Marijuana

Being arrested for possession of marijuana or any drug possession charge can be a very stressful experience. One of the most stressful aspects of it is not knowing what to expect. This article can give you a brief insight into what to expect is you are charged with possession of marijuana in Florida.

The State of Florida is generally more sympathetic to users, than they are to sellers, and more sympathetic to marijuana (cannabis), then they are to harder drugs. However, every drug charge is very serious.

If you are a recreational user with no prior criminal arrests, and the Police only found a small amount of marijuana in your possession do not panic. You may be offered a pre-trial diversion program (PTD) from the State. That means that upon the completion of the terms of the PTD the State agrees to drop the charges. The terms of the PTD may include a drug course, community service hours, or a donation.

If the State drops the charges your record would show "nolle prosequi" which means the prosecutor declares that he will proceed no further. If your case is nolle prossed you may be eligible to have the record expunged.

If you are a repeat offender, and the Police only found a small amount of marijuana you may be facing a more serious sentence. That could mean Court costs, fines, and even incarceration. If you take a plea to possession of marijuana that results in an adjudication of guilt the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DMV) may suspend your driver's license for two years.

If you are charged with possession of a large amount of marijuana or for intent to sell or distribute, you are facing very serious felony charges that may result in substantial prison time. If you are facing felony drug charges in Florida you should exercise your right to remain silent. You should only discuss your case with an experienced attorney.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer