1. If the death occurs at home, you may need to contact a local police officer or coroner.
2. Notify family and friends. You may want to consider having family members contact others to save yourself some time on the phone during a stressful period.
3. If the Decedent wished, a donation of body parts and tissues should be considered.
4. If a doctor is not present, notify a doctor or coroner in order to obtain a death certificate.
5. Contact a funeral home concerning burial or cremation arrangements.
6. Look for instructions which the Decedent may have left regarding preferences for funeral and burial arrangements.
7. Complete funeral and burial arrangements.
8. Determine if the Decedent belonged to a burial or memorial society that may make special arrangements for the funeral, such as military honor guards.
9. Contact the Social Security Administration and any other government agencies or benefit program that may be making payments to the Decedent. (Note that the payment for the month of death will not be made by the Social Security Administration and others.)
10. Review the Decedent's financial affairs and look for any estate planning documents, such as Wills and Trusts, along with any other relevant documents, including:
Our Rating is calculated using information the lawyer has included on
their profile in addition to the information we collect from state
bar associations and other organizations that license legal
professionals. Attorneys who claim their profiles and provide Avvo
with more information tend to have a higher rating than those who do
What determines Avvo Rating?
Experience & background
Years licensed, work experience, education
Legal community recognition
Peer endorsements, associations, awards
Legal thought leadership
Publications, speaking engagements
This lawyer was disciplined by a state licensing authority in .
Disciplinary information may not be comprehensive, or updated. We recommend that you always check a lawyer's disciplinary status with their respective state bar association before hiring them.