Written by attorney Maya Shulman

What To Do When Served With A Divorce Petition

The law in the USA allows either spouse to terminate a legal relationship by appealing to the court. In CA, registered domestic partners or a married couple can terminate the legal marital status 6 months after filing the first documents. Copies are sent to the respondent once filed with the court.

Additional resources provided by the author

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Avvo child custody email series

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer