Skip to main content

What to Do If You are in a Car Accident with an Uninsured Motorist

Posted by attorney Donald Banovitz

If you are involved in an accident with an uninsured motorist, it can be difficult to recover damages. Although Colorado requires drivers to carry car insurance, some may go without it. According to the Insurance Research Council, about one out of every seven drivers in the United States does not have car insurance. Get help from a Colorado car accident lawyer at the Law Offices of D.J. Banovitz.

What happens if you are in an accident with an uninsured motorist?

If you are involved in such an accident, call the police to the scene and file a police report. The police report will be a good source of evidence for the insurance company or even the courts, should the case need to be pursued in litigation. In addition, your Colorado car accident lawyer may ask for a copy of it.

Make sure you collect as much information as you can from the other driver. Be sure to get his or her name, address and contact information, as well as driver’s license and vehicle information. While you are waiting for the police, gather witness information and take photos of the accident scene. Be sure to highlight any vehicle damage as well as any injuries you sustained. You also should take notes of the date, time and conditions surrounding the accident, including weather and road conditions.

Contacting the Insurance Company

If you have uninsured motorist insurance, contact your insurance company to file an accident claim. The agent will ask for information about the accident, including information about the person who hit you. He or she then will advise you of your next steps. If you do not have uninsured motorist coverage, you still may be able to receive some compensation. Your own insurance policies may provide some coverage, although you may not be able to recover compensation for all damages. A Colorado car accident lawyer can help you evaluate your options.

Recovering Compensation from an Uninsured Driver

Many drivers who do not have car insurance choose not to have it because they cannot afford it. If they cannot afford insurance, they likely won’t be able to afford to compensate you for your expenses following an accident. Therefore, if you are involved in an accident with an uninsured motorist, it can be hard to recover damages. If you do recover damages, the motorist likely will not pay for everything you suffered or had to pay out of pocket.

An uninsured motorist can face criminal charges and penalties in Colorado. Those found in violation may be fined a minimum of $500 for a first offense and a minimum of $1,000 for a second offense. Violators also may be sentenced to 40 hours or more of community service. In addition, the driver may be required to compensate the victim for damages out of pocket as much as they can afford to do so.

Seeking Legal Help after an Accident

If you are involved in an accident with uninsured motorist, get professional legal help. In Colorado, contact a car accident lawyer at the Law Office of D.J. Banovitz. Call 1-303-300-5060 and be sure to request your free booklet, _ 7 Costly Mistakes that Can Ruin Your Colorado Injury Case_. We can assist those who are involved in an accident with an uninsured motorist and now must attempt to recover damages.

Author of this guide:

Was this guide helpful?

Avvo personal injury email series

Sign up to receive a 3-part series of useful information and advice about personal injury law.

Recommended articles about Personal injury

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer