Written by attorney Peter Joseph Lamont

What to bring for identification at the N.J. Motor Vehicle Commission:

At least one primary document At least one secondary document

Social Security number

Proof of address

Documents must to add up to six points

Must bring at least one of these primary documents:

U.S. citizens: (These are worth four points)

Original civil birth certificate or certified copy from one of the 50 states, Wash., D.C., or U.S. territory. (If your current legal name is different [e.g., your maiden name], then you must show legal proof of the name change such as a certified marriage or civil union cer tificate, divorce decree or court order linking the new name with the previous one.)

U.S. Department of State birth certificate

U.S. passport current or expired less than three years

Current N.J. digital driver license

Current N.J. digital non-driver ID card

Current N.J. digital boat license

Valid active duty U.S. military photo ID card

U.S. adoption papers

Certificate of naturalization (Form N-550, N-570 or N-578)

Certificate of citizenship (Form N-560, N-5561 or N-645)

Non-citizens: (These are worth four points)

Foreign passport with INS or USCIS verification and valid record of arrival/departure (Form I-94)

Foreign passport with INS or USCIS verification and valid Form I-551 stamp

Current alien registration card (new Form 1-551) with expiration date and verification form INS or USCIS

Refugee travel document (Form 1-571)

U.S. re-entry permit (Form 1-327)

Valid I-94 stamped "Refugee," "Asylee" or "Notice of Action" (Form I-797 approved petition) by INS or USCIA

Valid I-94 with attached photo stamped "Processed for I-551 ..." by INS or USCIA (These are worth three points)

Current photo employment authorization card Form I-6888 or I-766). Must be presented with valid Social Security card. (These are worth two points)

Current alien registration card (old Form I-551) without expiration date and with INS or USCIS verification

Photo temporary resident card (Form 1-688)

Must bring at least one of these secondary documents: (These are worth three points)

Civil marriage, domestic partnership or civil union certification issued by the municipality in which the ceremony occurred.

Order of decree of divorce, dissolution or termination

Court order for legal name change signed by a judge or court clerk

Current U.S. military dependent card

Valid N.J. firearm purchaser card (These are worth two points)

U.S. school photo ID card with transcript or school records

U.S. college photo ID card with transcript

Valid federal, state or local government employee drivers license

U.S. military discharge papers (DD214)

FAA pilot license (These are worth one point)

You cannot use more than two of these:

Current N.J. photo driver license (non-digital)

Current photo driver license from any other state or Wash., D.C.

Social Security card

Bank statement or record

ATM card with preprinted name and applicant's signature (An ATM card and bank statement cannot be submitted together)

Current health insurance card, prescription card or employee ID card with printed pay stub

State professional license

N.J. public assistance card with photo (also known as a N.J. Social Services ID card)

High school diploma, GED or college diploma

Property tax statement, bill or receipt issued by a N.J. municipality

For N.J. high school students: a waiver certificate for the written portion of the driver's test

Veterans Affairs universal access photo ID card

Social Security number

The MVC will verify that your Social Security number matches your name and birth date on record with the Social Security Administration database.

Motor Vehicle Commission online —

toll-free 888-486-3339 Customer service representatives are available from 8:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Must bring proof of address:

P.O. boxes not accepted as proof of address Utility or credit card bill issued in the past 90 days that shows your name at your current address

Checking or savings account statement from a bank or credit union issued in the past 60 days

High school or college report card ot transcript containing your address, issued within the past two years

Original lease or rental agreement showing your name as the lessee or renter Property tax bill, statement or receipt from the past year

Any letter or correspondence (including tax bills) received from the IRS or state tax office in the last year

First-class mail received from any federal, state or local government agency in the past six months

If you are under 18, a Parent or Guardian Certification that verifies you are living with a parent or guardian is accepted

Additional resources provided by the author;

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer