Written by attorney Kristina Elizabeth Feher

What should I do if I’ve been served with divorce papers?

Take a deep breath. Do not panic. Follow our simple six-day plan.

Additional resources provided by the author

Now that your response is done, many courts will steer spouses towards mediation to see if you can resolve your case. You will need to work with your attorney to collect your financial documents (also known as mandatory disclosure) to file everything needed before you can set a mediation date. At mediation, you and your spouse will work with a neutral third-party (a mediator) to see if you can resolve your case between the 2 of you, with your attorneys and the help of the mediator.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Avvo child custody email series

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer