Written by attorney John Griffin Watts

What should happen with my credit reports now that I have a vacated judgment?

The first thing you should do is check your credit reports.

If the judgment isn't there, then there's nothing to do.

However, if the judgment is still on your credit report, then you should properly dispute with the credit reporting agencies.

Send them a letter with the vacated judgment, and explain that this is a reporting error.

Sometimes they will want to mark the judgment as "satisfied," but that's different from a vacated judgment and would be false information.

Vacated means that the debt doesn't exist anymore.

If they don't fix it after you've disputed with them, then you should look at suing them under the FCRA for false credit reporting.

Hope this is helpful to you!

Additional resources provided by the author

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer