Children enrolled in day care centers in the United States are at risks for serious personal injuries and even death when they are left unattended in a day care center van or bus. In most, if not all, of these instances, the incident is avoidable with better supervision and the following of some simple policies and procedures for roll call and checks on and off the bus. Here are some simple steps that can help avoid a tragic incident from taking place:
1. Have a Written Policy and Procedure in Place. Every day care center should have a written policy and procedure in place for the transporation of children to and from the day care center. The policy and procedure should be posted and should be reviewed by each and every staff member of the day care center. The policy and procedure should also be posted on the day care center buses and vans. Furthermore, the policy and procedure should be on a clipboard carried and maintained by the school bus driver and / or attendant.
2. Have a Written Checklist in Place. In conjunction with the written policy anbd procedure, the day care center should hae a written checklist that contains check mark areas to take attendance on and off the bus. The checklist should contain the names of each child and a census of how many childen are being transported.
3. Have an Attendance Sheet in Place. Prior to departure, the school bus driver and / or attendant should have an attendance sheet or list in place before any trip or excursion to or from the day care center
4. Roll Call. When the children are assembled to enter the day care center bus, roll call should be taken and then marked or checked on the attendance sheet. The roll call should be checked off on the checkli
5. Roll Call on the Day Care Center Bus / Van. A second roll call should be completed once the children are on and seated on the day care center bus / van. The attendance sheet and checklist should be marked accordingly..
6. Sweep of the Bus After Getting to a Destination. This is a very important step. The bus driver and attendant (if there is one) should walk through the entire van / bus to make sure that all children have departed the bus. The attendance sheet and checklist should be marked accordingly.
7. Roll Call After Department the Day Care Center Van / Bus. As a final measure to make sure that all children have properly exited the bus, roll call should be taken after the children get off the bus to make sure that no child has been left behind.
Sign up to receive a 3-part series of useful information and advice about personal injury law.