Written by attorney Cameron D. Simpson

What is the first thing I should do after a Florida car accident?

Well, the first thing you should do, is make sure that everyone is okay medically. Yourself, the passengers in your car.

Florida law requires that if there's an injury, or there's an intoxication, a driver that's intoxicated, or there's a hit and run, or there's property damage greater than $500, that you immediately have to call 911 and ask for law enforcement to attend to the situation. The law enforcement usually will prepare a crash report for you. If one is not prepared, then you have to assure that one is prepared within 10 days.

But, prior to that, you should contact an attorney. Because, normally, the insurance carriers will try to approach you and ask for recorded statements, and interfere with the case, and you need to obtain an attorney immediately to take care of your interests.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Avvo personal injury email series

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer