Written by attorney John Griffin Watts

What is a good form letter to send to debt collectors under the FDCPA?

When you're looking to send a dispute letter to a debt collector, here are a few things to consider:

The purpose of the letter, which is to dispute with them and gain information.

**** How to send the letter.

You should send it via certified mail.

You should also keep a signed copy of the letter (digital and physical copies).

Make sure that in some way you have a digital copy.

You'd be amazed at how many debt collectors will lie about what you've said in letters to them.

*****What is the content of the letter?

You should identify the collector, which means stating their name and address.

Then, you need to identify who you are.

State your name, and any other names you may be known by.

Let them know who you are.

We suggest saying, "I dispute owing any debt to you."

Because when consumers get a collection letter, they usually will put their account number in the letter.

Which is fine, but what if you accidentally write down the wrong numbers?

That can get you into some unnecessary trouble, so we recommend you write down that you dispute owing any debt to them.

If they think that you owe them money, ask them for proof.

You can also let them know not to call you on any work numbers, and revoke their permission to call you.

****Follow up on the letter.

After about 7 days, the collector should get the letter.

Mark your calendar to make sure you remember to check.

You should have the green card back, and you can also check online.

After about 30 days, see if the debt collector has responded to you.

Have they sent you anything or tried to get in touch with you?

After 60-90 days (2-3 months), pull your credit reports.

Check and see if they have marked the debt on your account as disputed.

When a debt collector receives a dispute letter, they need to inform the credit reporting agencies that the debt was disputed.

Debt collectors don't like that.

If they mark that debt as disputed, then the account ends up ignored.

Which means that they don't get paid, and you won't have to worry about it.

Sometimes the debt collector will decide not to make the debt as disputed.

If your credit report continues to show that you owe money to a debt collector after you've disputed with the collector, you should sue them for false credit reporting.

Hope this helps you out!

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer