Skip to main content

What is a B-1 Visitor Visa and Will I Qualify?

Posted by attorney Ryan Reppucci

A B-1 Visitor Visa application process is relatively simple and therefore generally a party applying for such entry will not require the services of an attorney. I say this with some hesitation however. In particular, if you have been denied other or similar Visa's in the past or have previously overstayed a Visa, you should consult with an experienced immigration attorney prior to submitting your B-1 application.

The purpose of a B-1 Visa is the allow temporary access to the United States for purpose of conduction business. In contrast, under a B-2 Visa a qualifying party will need to demonstrate that they seek temporary entry into the United States as a tourist or for medical treatment. Furthermore, you must demonstrate that you do intend to return to your home nation after your reason for the temporary visit has expired. One such way to demonstrate such intent is to show that you have and maintain a permanent residence in your home nation.

If you are applying for a B-1 Visa to conduct a business purpose while in the United States, it may be a good idea to speak with an experienced immigration attorney prior to applying since there are very specific "business" activities that can and cannot be exercised while temporarily in the United States pursuant to a valid B-1 Visa.

As a general practice, a party holding a valid B-1 Visa may be allowed to stay in the United States for a period of time not exceeding one (1) year. You will know the date that your B-1 Visa is set to expire as when you first come to the United States, you will be given an I-94 showing the date your Visa will expire. If at expiration of your B-1 Visa you need to still remain in the United States, you must first apply for and have approved what is known as an "extension of stay."

As mentioned prior, the application process for a B-1 Visa is relatively simple, presuming you have not been previously denied other Visa's and/or overstayed. First, you need to prepare an application which consists of either one (1) or two (2) forms and some personal documents. Next, you must present your completed application including supporting documents to an official at a United States consulate.

For information on this process visit or contact an experienced immigration law attorney or the experienced Phoenix, Arizona based immigration law firm of Ariano & Reppucci, PLLC.

Author of this guide:

Was this guide helpful?