Written by attorney Karen Stolp Poirier

What if I was in an accident that was casued by a deer or other animal?

If you have uninsured motorist protection, you may still be able to make a claim and receive a settlement.

What is uninsured motorist protection?

Most people’s auto insurance policy provides coverage for accidents with uninsured/under insured motorists. This coverage also applies to accidents caused by animals.

Ordinarily, if you are in accident that is the other driver’s fault, you make a claim with that person’s insurance company and, if necessary, you can sue the other driver. Understandably, you cannot sue a deer, but you may be able to make a claim with your insurance company. If you have uninsured motorist coverage, your insurance company may be obligated to pay for your property damage, medical bills, lost time from work or school, and pain and suffering. If a settlement is not reached, then instead of suing the other driver (or the deer), you sue your insurance company. The insurance companies often refer to these types of cases as “UM claims."

***SEE ALSO: “ What if you are in an accident with an uninsured or under-insured driver?"

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Avvo personal injury email series

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer