Written by attorney Nadia von Magdenko

What Happens When I Miss Work Because of an Accident?

One of the hardest parts of being injured in an accident is the time you may have to miss from work. At the start of your case, if you need to be off work for an extended period of time, you will need to have your doctor give you an "off work slip", documenting your need to be off work. If you have a very labor intensive job, requiring a lot of lifting or carrying, your lawyer and doctor will let you know that by engaging in those activities, you may delay healing and may prevent a full recovery from your injuries. Also, an "off work slip" is necessary to prove your need to be off work. So, if you take off from work without a doctor's note saying you needed to be off work, you will likely not get the money you missed from work. Another issue that comes up in the area of missing work due to your injuries, is when someone is salaried. There is a rule in Las Vegas Personal Injury cases called the "Collateral Source Rule". When it comes to your time lost from work, it means that whether you are salaried or not, does not matter, you are still entitled to compensation for the time lost at work. All you need is the note from your doctor and the note from your company stating your rate of pay and the days you missed. If you have suffered an injury that prevents you from working at your normal job your lawyer will hire an expert to testify as to your inability to work.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Avvo personal injury email series

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer