Written by attorney Max A. Keller

What Happens if I plead guilty to DAR, DAS or DAC in Minnesota

DAR, DAS, and DAC are commonly charged crimes in Minnesota. DAR is Driving After Revocation, DAS is Driving After Suspension, and DAC is Driving After Cancellation. All 3 of these crimes are commonly referred to as "driving without a [valid] license." What happens to you in Minnesota if you plead guilty to DAR, DAS, or DAC?

A DAR or DAS is ALWAYS a misdemeanor, so the maximum penalty is 90 days in Jail and/or a $1000 fine PER COUNT of DAR/DAS. So, that means if you were caught driving on a suspended license 4 times, and all 4 charges are consolidated into one court appearance, you could go to jail for ONE YEAR (4 counts times 90 days = 360 days, or about 1 year). DAC, However, is often a Gross Misdemeanor, meaning the Maximum penalty for ONE COUNT/Charge is 1 year in Jail and/or a $3000 fine. DAC is only a Gross Misd. IF the driver's license was Cancelled as Inimical to Public Safety (DAC-IPS) as a result of too many DWI's. Other forms of DAC, like driving after being cancelled for failure to provide proof of Insurance, are still a Misdemeanor.

Now, HERE COMES THE REALLY IMPORTANT PART: IF You plead guilty to, AND are convicted of, DAR, DAS OR DAC, you automatically lose your license FOR AT LEAST 30 DAYS, EVEN IF you had gotten yourself valid again by the time of your court appearance. Unfortunately, many Prosecutors and Judges do not tell people who are charged with DAR, DAS, or DAC that IF they are found guilty they will Lose their Driver's License AGAIN, and thereby risk more charges of Driving Without a License. To Make Matters Worse, the Court System, in an effort to save money, and supposedly to help drivers, has made DAR and DAS "payable offenses." That means you can plead guilty by mail (or through the web) by sending in your ticket and your fine payment and so you do NOT have to appear in court. When you plead guilty by mail, IT IS GUARANTEED That no one will tell you that by doing so, you Automatically lose your license AGAIN. Moreover, you also lose your license if you are found guilty of No Proof of Insurance, OR No Insurance.

The only way to protect your driver's license status and keep it valid, OR get it valid, is to hire An Experienced Minnesota Criminal Defense and Traffic Law Attorney today! They know various ways to resolve your case without a finding of guilt for a charge that will cause you to lose your license. With a skilled Minnesota Criminal Defense and Traffic Law attorney, you CAN preserve your license, your job and your FREEDOM.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer