Skip to main content

What Do I Need to Prove to Collect Damages If I am Injured On Someone's Property

Posted by attorney Steven Sweat

In California, if you are injured on the property of another person (for example, at someone elses' home or at a place of business) you must usually show that the property owner "knew" or "should have known" that the cause of your injury was a dangerous condition that the property owner could have warned about or remedied. However, if the property owner actually created the dangerous condition, then this notice is presumed. Furthermore, in the case of a retail or commercial property, notice can be presumed if the property owner did not have a regular practice or procedure for inspection of the property for dangers. The bottom line is that this requires a good attorney who can conduct the proper investigaiton for you and determine if you have a case.

Additional resources provided by the author

Author of this guide:

Was this guide helpful?

Avvo personal injury email series

Sign up to receive a 3-part series of useful information and advice about personal injury law.

Recommended articles about Personal injury

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer