Written by attorney Theodore W. Robinson

What do I do if the Police Frisk me?

If the police stop, detain and frisk you, you can say to them that you do not consent to a search of your body in any way. You don't have the right to resist them physically. The best thing to do is simply say "Officer, I'm not resisting you. However, I do not consent to this search." You may even add in "Please stop." or "Stop." However, don't expect them to stop and don't try to pull away or resist or they will inevitably charge you with resisting them. Remember, never physically resist the police, even slightly. Just by touching an officer could resist in your becoming beaten, maced or tazered. If you touch a police officer or try to escape/run and the cop gets injured, even if not by your direct actions, you could also have a felony charge added to any other charges for assaulting a police officer. If you believe you were wrongly stopped, detained and frisked, you may wish to consider filing a police misconduct report with the police department.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer