Written by attorney Melanie MacMichael Butler

Was I wrongfully terminated?

Many people who are fired believe they were wrongfully terminated. "Wrongful termination" is a term of art referring to specific harassment and employment discrimination based on being a member of a protected class. Being fired without good cause may be unfair, but it is not necessarily illegal.

Additional resources provided by the author

If you believe you have been wrongfully terminated, you can contact the Department of Fair Employment and Housing at the link below and file a complaint. You can either have DFEH investigate the claim, or request a right to sue letter. If you do the latter, you may want to retain legal counsel to represent you in your case, as these matters can be complicated. *This guide is does not form an attorney client relationship.*

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer