Written by attorney John Griffin Watts

VA Pension (Aid & Attendance) -- The Difference in Asset Recovery With VA and Alabama Medicai

If you qualify and receive VA Pension (Aid and Attendance) benefits or Medicaid benefits, can the government get its money back at your death? This is often called "Asset Recovery" or "Estate Recovery".

The short version is no on VA Aid and Attendance but sometimes on Alabama Medicaid.

Alabama Medicaid sometimes results in Alabama trying to recover the benefits it paid for nursing home care. This can be against the house of the Medicaid recipient (after death) or certain other assets.

I hope this video helps encourage you to explore whether you qualify for these important benefits and that you ask the right questions when you talk to a lawyer about asset recovery.

If you live in Alabama and have questions, feel free to contact us.

John G. Watts

Watts & Herring, LLC

Birmingham, Alabama

Additional resources provided by the author

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer