Written by attorney Jay Marcus Tiftickjian

Travel to Canada with a DUI Just got Easier with the Tourism Facilitation Action Plan

A new plan announced Friday , February 10 will make travel to Canada easier for those tourists with a minor blip on their criminal history. The tourism industry in Canada has been struggling, and since 9/11, criminal inadmissibility for minor criminality has been more detrimental to Canadian tourism than any other factor, including the struggling economy.

Not only has the policy has a negative impact on tourism, but has also deeply affected the convention business in the bigger cities. Companies are reluctant to hold conferences and conventions in Canada because they fear that some, if not many, of their participants will not be able to attend due to a minor incident that may have occurred many years ago.

The current policy allows a border official to deny admittance based on a single minor criminal offense, such as a DUI, for which no time was served in jail. Under the new policy, beginning March 1, those individuals with a single indictable offence in their criminal histories, for which they served less than 6 months jail, are less likely to be turned back at the border.

Under this new plan, if a U.S. Tourist meets the criteria under the Tourism Facilitation Action Plan, they are allowed admission into Canada after filling out a temporary resident permit form. There will be no fee for this permit. This is not an official change in the law and the ultimate decision is still up to the border official, but they are to be guided by this new policy.

Additional resources provided by the author

For additional resources regarding Colorado DUI law, visit Tiftickjian Law Firm's website as well as My Denver DUI Lawyer, a news site regarding developments and trends surrounding Colorado DUI law.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Avvo DUI email series

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer