Tips for a successful Fiancee Petition (I-129F)
RequirementsFiancee Petitions are complicated and are very fact-specific. To successfully petition for your fiancee you must follow these steps:
1. You must be a US citizen. Fiancee petitions are only available for US citizens. If you're a lawful permanent resident you are not eligible to use this petition.
2. You must have met your fiancee in person (there are exceptions) within two years before filing the fiancee application.
3. You must be legally able to marry your fiancee within 90 days of her arrival to the US.
4. You and your fiancee must both submit a letter of intent to marry to prove to USCIS that you plan on marrying your fiancee upon her arrival to the US.
5. You both must submit documents to prove that all your previous marriages, if any, were terminated.
6. You must submit all necessary documents to prove that you have met in the past 2 years, and that you plan on marrying your fiancee within 90 days of her arrival to the US.
General AdviceIt is important to receive competent legal advice and help from an attorney. Any mistake can be not only costly, but also be detrimental to your case and may cause USCIS to deny your petition.