Written by attorney Edwin J Castellanos

The State Department’s Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program

Child Custody and International Child Abduction Prevention: The State Department’s Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program

Are you involved in a contentious child custody matter? Do you have concerns about the abduction of your minor child(ren)? The United States Department of State has a very important resource for parents/guardians of minor children living in the United States and is intended to prevent international child abduction. When you have a concern or child custody issue, it may be a good idea to speak to a child custody lawyer from our family law firm to discuss any concerns you may have about parental child abduction and registering your child in the below described program.

The Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program (“CPIAP") allows registration of a U.S. citizen child under the age of 18 in what is referred to on the State Department website as their Passport Lookout System. If your child has already been issued a passport, you can still register your child so you can be notified if the State Department receives an application for renewal of the passport.

According to the State Department, the way the Passport Lookout system works is if a passport application is submitted for a child registered under CPIAP, the State Department flags the application and contacts the parents/guardians of the child. In addition, the Passport Lookout System gives passport agencies located in the United States as well as U.S. embassies and consulates overseas an alert if a parent or guardian registers an “objection" to the issuance of the passport for the child.

The State Department’s Office of Children’s Issues, a part of Overseas Citizen Services is responsible for this program. If you are involved in a contentious custody matter, you can complete the Entry Request Form located on the State Department’s website and submit it to their Overseas Citizen Services – Office of Children’s Issues.

If you are involved in a difficult or complex child custody matter, please contact one of our Los Angeles child custody lawyers today and schedule your FREE initial consultation at (323) 655-2105.

Additional resources provided by the author

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Avvo child custody email series

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer