The E-2 Treaty Investor Visa
If you are wondering how to take advantage of these benefits especially through starting a business or buying one, the E-2 Treaty Investor Visa can definitely help.
What Is An E-2 Treaty Investor Visa?The E-2 Treaty Investor visa is also simply called the E-2 visa. It is one of the visas available to individuals who intend to relocate to the United States for business purposes.
It particularly applies to individuals that are interested in making investments by starting a new business or buying an established one. The E-2 visa allows the investor to live in the United States. You would be able to manage and direct the operation of your business so that you can ensure its success.
Qualification for an E-2 Treaty Investor VisaThere are several requirements that you must meet in order to qualify for an E-2 visa. The most important of these requirements include the following.
- You must be a national of a country that has a Treaty of Trade and Commerce with the United States. - This list is available in the Department of State website.
- You must be looking to invest a substantial amount of capital in a new or existing business. There is no real definition of what is *substantial*. However, it needs to be a fairly large chunk of what you would need to successfully operate the business.
- The business you intend to invest in must not be marginal. It must be capable of generating more than enough income for you and your family. It must also be able to help the economy of the United States.
- You must be moving for the purpose of developing and directing the investment. You can show this by having more than 50% ownership or a major control of the investment.
- You cannot use capital from illegitimate sources. Your capital must be clean.
Extra Benefits of an E-2 VisaApart from the general benefits of an E-2 visa, which include your freedom to enter and exit the United States at will, there are other benefits.
You can bring important employees from your home country on an E-2 visa as well. These employees must be of the same nationality as you. They also need to be employed in executive or supervisory positions in the business.
You can also bring your family into the United States on the E-2 visa. Your wife would be eligible to find work and your children would also be able to go to school in the United States.
Duration and ExtensionAn E-2 visa is valid for two to five years after your first successful application. You can then apply extensions from time to time.
What Can You Do To Apply?The process of applying for an E-2 visa is a bit complex. It is made more difficult by the fact that your application would be denied if it is not perfect. Why take a risk on applying by yourself or through an inadequate lawyer? Only the best will do for you.