Written by attorney Lee Alan Thompson

Termination of Child Support in Ohio

This is not necessarily an exhaustive list and a couple may raise questions in the mind of the reader. On those, I've added a brief note. Most of these can be done through the child support enforcement agency of your county without cost.

  1. The child is emancipated. For purposes of child support, this is not always age 18. A child is emancipated when he or she reaches 18 years of age but, if the child subject to a support order, it continues if the child is a full-time student attending an accredited high school but only until age 19. Note here, homeschooling is governed by the state.

  2. The death of the child or the person ordered to pay child support. Note here also, social death benefits can be available.

  3. The child gets married.

  4. The child is deported.

  5. The child is adopted.

  6. Permanent custody is award to the children services agency(CPS). Specifically, this is a termination of parental and with it, a termination of parental obligations. This also includes a change of legal custody from parent to the other.

  7. The child joins the military and no longer a full-time student.

  8. The parents of the child remarry. A termination of support however does not mean that unpaid support terminates. Those are monies still owed to the residential parent(obligee) by the person to pay(obligor).

Finally, it is possible for the either or both parents to ask for termination of the support for a reason not listed. There are exceptions to the above. Child support for a child that is is mentally or physically disabled and is incapable of supporting or maintaining himself or herself regardless of age or the parents have agreed to continue the support beyond the age of majority in accordance with a separation agreement incorporated into a decree of divorce or dissolution. One final note, only the court can terminate child support by court order.

If you are the non-residential paying child support and the child then resides with you but nothing is ever changed with the court, the money originally ordered to be paid is still owed. The above is not meant to be legal advice. If you have questions about your rights or obligations, you should consult an attorney.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer