Written by attorney Howard M Lewis

Stopping a Divorce: Notice of dismissal

In all the US states, you need to write a notice of dismissal to stop a proceeding. The party who filed the petition will have to file the notice to dismiss the case. In the notice, you must mention your full name, your spouse’s full names, your case number, and a statement indicating that you are requesting that the court enter an order dismissing your case. Both you and your spouse must sign the motion of your own free will and your signatures may have to be notarized. File the notice with the court clerk. The notice does not have to be approved by the judge, but your divorce case isn’t dismissed until you file it.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Avvo child custody email series

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer