Written by attorney Brenda Smith Stedham

Stepparent Adoptions-What Do I Need to Give My Lawyer & What Will He/She Do For Me?

You need get together some papers for your lawyer before he/she can prepare the petition for adoption and other documents required by State law. Your lawyer will file the paperwork with the probate office. A hearing will be set and the stepparent, his/her spouse may testify at the hearing.

Additional resources provided by the author

If you want your adoption to go through, you must hire an attorney. There are too many ways to cause yourself problems by trying to handle it yourself. For more general information, go to:

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer