Written by attorney Carl Michael Shusterman | Jul 1, 2019

Spouses/Children Of Green Card Holders Can File I-485s Starting On July 1, 2019

The U.S. State Department announced that the family 2A category (spouses and unmarried children of lawful permanent residents) will become current for the first time in many years.

On June 26, the USCIS announced that even though Worldwide Family 2A is backlogged on the Dates of Filing Chart, since the Worldwide Family 2A is current on the Final Action Dates Chart, spouses and unmarried minor children of green card holders can file applications for adjustment of status in July if they are otherwise eligible. If the green card holder has yet to file an I-130 visa petition, the I-130 and the I-485 can be submitted simultaneously.

For the past few years, the family 2A category has been backlogged 18-24 months, so this may be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!

This is great news for green card holders who have petitioned, or want to petition, their spouses and children. If your spouse and children are present in the U.S., they will be able to file applications for adjustment of status (form I-485) starting on July 1, 2019. This packet should include an application for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) and an Advance Parole (AP) international travel document.

This is one of the greatest moments in immigration history for permanent residents.

You can stay up-to-date with the waiting times in the Visa Bulletin and other immigration news by subscribing to our Free E-Mail Newsletter.

Rate this guide

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer