Skip to main content

Social Security Disability- How to Apply

Posted by attorney David Henson

How to Apply for Social Security Disability Every day clients ask us how to apply for Social Security Disability benefits. If you are asking the same questions, these tips can help you navigate the process. There are four main ways that you can apply for disability benefits through the Social Security Administration. First, call the Social Security Administration at one eight hundred -- seven, seven, two -- one, two, one, three. The Social Security Administration will arrange a time for you to conduct a telephone interview with a disability representative who will fill out your initial application over the phone. Second, you can visit your local Social Security Administration office. There, they will schedule an in-person interview to complete your initial application. Third, if you have Internet access, go to www-dot-socialsecurity-dot-gov and fill out an application electronically. Or finally, you can contact a North Carolina Social Security Disability attorney from HensonFuerst to help you apply. While most of our clients apply on their own, we are happy to help you start the process. No matter how you choose to apply, there are several documents you need to have on hand. Ideally, you should have your medical information, such as the names, addresses, phone numbers, and patient ID numbers for all the doctors, hospitals, and clinics you've visited since your disability began. You should also have documentation of the dates you visited these facilities—if you don't, try to remember the dates to the best of your ability. You also need the names of any and all medicines you are taking, with dosages. It's also a good idea to have copies of any medical records in your possession when you apply. In addition, you will need an original or certified copy of your birth certificate. If you were born in another country, you need proof of U.S. citizenship or legal residency. If you were in the military service, you'll need the original or certified copy of your military discharge papers for all periods of active duty—that's form D,D-two, fourteen. If you worked, have your W-two Form from last year, or if you were self-employed, your federal income tax return—that's the ten-forty and Schedules C and SE forms. For anyone who filed a workers' compensation claim, you'll need to know the date of your injury, the claim number, and proof of payment amounts. Other basic information you need on hand, includes your social security numbers for your spouse and minor children; your checking and/or savings account numbers (if you have accounts); and a list of the kinds of jobs, names of employers, and dates you worked in the fifteen years before you became unable to work. The more information and documentation of these items you can provide the better. We've found over the years that a complete and thorough application can greatly increase your chances for approval.

*** Principal Office of Henson & Fuerst, PA: 2501 Blue Ridge Road, Raleigh, NC 27607 ***

Additional resources provided by the author

Author of this guide:

Was this guide helpful?

Recommended articles about Employment

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer