Written by attorney Adam B. Cordover

Simplified Dissolution of Marriage in Florida

Under certain circumstances, spouses may jointly file for divorce in Florida and schedule their case for a final hearing within thirty days or less. Pursuant to Florida Family Law Rule of Procedure 12.105, this is known as a simplified dissolution of marriage.

Eligibility for a Simplified Dissolution of Marriage

To be eligible for a simplified dissolution of marriage, the following must be true:

  • The parties have no minor or dependent children;
  • The wife is not pregnant;
  • At least one of the parties has resided in Florida for at least six months prior to filing for divorce;
  • The marriage is irretrievably broken (the parties cannot fix their marriage);
  • The parties have filled out and exchanged financial affidavits, disclosing their assets, debts, monthly income, and monthly expenses;
  • The parties have agreed how to divide their assets and liabilities in a marital settlement agreement;
  • Neither party is seeking alimony;
  • The parties are willing to waive their right to trial and appeal; and
  • The parties are willing and able to appear together at the final hearing.

If all of the above circumstances are not present, then the parties may not file for a simplified dissolution of marriage. However, the parties may still work together to expedite the process in an uncontested dissolution of marriage.

Additional resources provided by the author

Adam B. Cordover is a family law attorney and managing shareholder of The Law Firm of Adam B. Cordover, P.A. To learn more about The Law Firm of Adam B. Cordover, P.A. or to schedule a free consultation, call us at 813.443.0615 or visit us online at Attorney Adam B. Cordover is admitted to the Florida Bar and the United States District Court, Middle District of Florida. His office is located at 3839 West Kennedy Boulevard, Tampa, Florida 33609.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Avvo child custody email series

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer