Skip to main content

Renewing Your Permanent Resident Card (Part Two)

Posted by attorney Carl Shusterman

Do I need to carry my Permanent Resident Card with me at all times?

Yes. The Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551, is issued to all Permanent Residents as evidence of alien registration and their permanent resident status in the U.S. The card must be in your possession at all times. This means that you are not only required to have a currently valid card at all times, but also that you carry your currently valid card with you at all times. The card is only valid up to the expiration date and should be renewed before it expires.

If I file to replace my 10-year Permanent Resident Card, will the replacement card have a new expiration date?

Yes. The replacement 10-year Permanent Resident Card will have a new expiration date.

What should I do with my unexpired Permanent Resident Card when I receive my renewal card?

You should send the card to your local USCIS field office along with a letter explaining why the card is being returned.

If a lawful permanent resident relative dies, should I notify USCIS and what should I do with his or her card?

While not a requirement, it is recommended that you notify USCIS. You should send your relative’s permanent resident card to the local USCIS field office along with a letter explaining that you are returning the card due to the death of the permanent resident.

Additional resources provided by the author

Author of this guide:

Was this guide helpful?

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer