Preparing For Cancellation of Removal In Immigration Court
CANCELLATION OF REMOVAL - Questions to Ask Yourself
I have asked for a cancellation of removal application.
I have received my application from the Immigration Judge.
When is my application due?
I have filled out my application and made sure that all of my papers
and documents have the same information
(for example, all of the dates are the same).
- I have the original plus 2 copies of my application and all
of the documents that I am going to submit to the Court and
(The original is for the Judge, one copy is for the Immigration Service,
and one copy is for me.)
- I submitted my application to the judge, either in court or by mail
according to the judge’s instructions.
- I have contacted a family member or friend to help me collect
- One of us has contacted people for letters and/or documents that I
need for my case.
- I have told my family or friends what type of information that they
should include in their letters to the Judge.
- I have asked family or friends to speak at my hearing.
If they cannot come to my hearing I have asked them to write
a letter instead.
- All of my letters are in English and, if translated, I have
certificates of translationattached to them.
- I includedcertificates of servicewith any papers that I
submitted by mail to the Court and Immigration Service before my
individual hearing, and I mailed them in separate envelopes.
(addressed to: “The Immigration Judge" and “DHS Litigation")
- I have thought about and made an outline of what I am going
to say to the judge.
I have practiced my testimony with a friend.
I have prepared the people who are coming to my hearing.
In court I will
· be calm.
· look at the Judge.
· be polite and honest.
· listen carefully to the judge.
· try to explain myself clearly.
· express myself from the heart with real emotion.
Nikki Mehrpoo Jacobson Attorney at Law / Professor of Law [email protected] THE JACOBSON LAW FIRM, APC Immigration & Nationality ǀ Workers' Compensation 510 West 6th St. Suite 326 Los Angeles , CA 90014 (310) 277-2266 (310) 277-3366 FAX Los Angeles Immigration Lawyers - Free Consultation www.thelosangeleslawyers.com