Written by attorney William David Umansky

Physical and Emotional Injuries in Dog Bite Cases

Four million people per year who are bitten by dogs often suffer from abrasions, scarring, sprains, strains, rabies, cellulitis, bacterial infections, fractured bones, punctures, lacerations and bleeding. Unfortunately, in some cases, nerve damage, infections, disability, deformity and death can occur as well.

If you or your child is bitten by a dog seek immediate help. It is imperative that you receive medical treatment including sutures and an antibiotic regimen. In addition to physical injuries, many people can suffer from post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). After being bitten by a dog, a person may not feel or behave normally for a significant amount of time and can become depressed, fearful and extremely anxious around friends, families, or dogs. Sometimes PTSD can start within several months of the dog bite and the severity and duration of PTSD caries. Although people with PTSD can sometimes resolve it themselves, usually a mental health professional is often required in order for healing to occur.

It is important that if you or your child are suffering from some form of post traumatic stress disorder that you see immediate mental professional help. The cost for treatment for physical or emotional injuries for people bit by dogs is usually covered by your health insurance. However the owner of the dog who bit you frequently has to pay for all out of pocket expenses, including medical and health treatment, lost wages, surgical treatment, plastic surgery or other expenses that you may have incurred as a result of the injury you or your loved ones suffered. It is a good idea for you to consult a lawyer regarding the legal rights you have in the state where you live when you are bitten by a dog.

Additional resources provided by the author

The Umansky Law Firm 1945 E Michigan St Orlando, FL 32806 407-228-3838

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Avvo personal injury email series

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer