Written by attorney John P. Yetter

Parking Ticket Suspensions - Cities in Illinois collecting their Cash

In Illinois, the Legislature has created dozens of different ways an individual can get their driver’s license suspended. These are set out in 625 ILCS 5/7-303 The purpose of this guide is to deal with one particular type of suspension with en explanation of how you get it, and, more importantly, how to get rid of it.

A suspension based on too many parking tickets is identified on your Illinois driver’s abstract as action code “07." The statutory basis is 625 ILCS 5/6-306

If you get in a situation where you have 10 or more parking tickets which have gone unpaid, your driver’s license will be suspended indefinitely. That is, until the tickets are cleared, you cannot drive. Each unpaid parking ticket is supposed to be recorded with the Secretary of State, and they do the counting. SO, if you have five in Chicago and five in Springfield, you are looking at a suspension. Only the registered owner will be suspended.

The municipal report about your parking ticket to the Secretary and the subsequent notice to you must contain the following:

  1. Name, last known address, DL number or registration number;

  2. The name of the municipality;

  3. A statement from the municipality that they sent notice to the owner of the violations.

If these things don’t exist you can have a formal hearing to contest the suspension based upon lack of notice. The form to request this hearing is at If you are alleging the ticket was not issued when you were driving this is not a Secretary of State issue. For that you must figure out the municipality’s appeal process.

Your only other option is to just satisfy the tickets. Most municipalities accept reduced payments on the totals if the fines and fees are a huge amount. Several have amnesty days where you can get the discharge letter for pennies on the dollar. However, in this time of economic belt tightening, these situations are more and more difficult.

Please note a few things. One, the fees for reinstatements change all the time in Illinois (always going up). Another thing is that each municipality sets its own rules for both appeal and negotiation, which are not always advertised or even made public. Finally, the situations here are usually fairly complicated and consulting with an attorney to really nail down that you are doing the easiest and most effective thing for you is the best way to go about it.

Additional resources provided by the author

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer