Skip to main content

Oregon Fatal Motorcycle Accident Statistics

Unfortunately, riding a motorcycle can be very dangerous. Statistics show that a motorcycle rider is 6 times more likely to be killed in a crash than someone in a car. But in Oregon, in 2010, motorcycle crashes and injuries decreased - so good job Oregonians!

The number of Oregon motorcycle fatalities dropped by 2% in 2010, but 38 people were still killed. This dropped is attributed to several new motorcycle laws in Oregon in 2009, including one that made motorcycle safety training courses a requirement. As of January 2012, all riders under 40 must have taken this course.

Here's some other statistics:

  • About 60% of Oregon fatal motorcycle crashes do not involve anyone else.
  • Per mile, a motorcyclist is 35 times more likely to have a crash than someone driving a car.
  • Motorcycles only account for 2% of vehicles registered in the US, but account for 5% of highway fatalities.
  • For ever 100,000 motorcycles, 72.34 are involved in fatal crashes.
  • Riders are 16 times more likely to recieve serious injuries.
  • If a motorcyclist is involved in a crash, they have an 80% chance of suffering an injury or death (this is only 20% for car drivers).

If you or someone you know has been injured in a motorcycle accident, please contact a motorycle accident lawyer to learn your legal rights in Oregon. And if one of your loved ones was killed in a motorcycle accident, consider hiring an Oregon wrongful death attorney to help you through the wrongful death process for financial compensation.

Rate this guide


Avvo personal injury email series

Sign up to receive a 3-part series of useful information and advice about personal injury law.

Recommended articles about Personal injury

Can’t find what you’re looking for?


Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer