Written by attorney Brian Elliott Arnold

Order to Show Cause - Divorce Lawyer in Utah

We have a lot of clients that tell us that their ex-spouse is not following the divorce decree. There next question always is, “What can I do about it?" or “How do I make them do what is in the Divorce Decree?" The answer always is; An Application for an Order to Show Cause. This is the best way to get them to do what is in the Divorce Decree.

In order to process and file an Order to Show Cause we must have a copy of your Divorce Decree and will need to sit down with you and discuss when and how they have violated the Divorce Decree. Once we have this information we can file the Order to Show Cause. This will get you before a commissioner in District Court. In that hearing you ex-spouse will be there and you will have to put on evidence or argue how they have violated the Divorce Decree. The commissioner will hear both sides and then the Commissioner will make a decision. Once there is a decision made it can be certified for contempt before District Judge. At that point we will ask for Attorney Fees so that you can recover the fees that you have had to pay our law firm.

It can be stressful to go back to court, but in many instances when your ex-spouse is not following the Decree it is necessary. We can help you through that process and will represent you and your rights through the whole process. We know how much time goes into preparation and the hearing and can forecast how much your legal fees will be in order to help you plan ahead and know what you are facing.

An Order to Show Cause is a great way to get your ex-spouse back on track and following the Decree. Give us a call, we can help.

Arnold & Wadsworth (801) 475-0123

Additional resources provided by the author

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Avvo child custody email series

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer