Written by attorney Jennifer Rose Sunderlin

Obtaining Custody of Your Niece or Nephew in New York

As a Saratoga Child Custody Lawyer. I am often asked how to obtain custody of your niece or nephew. It may be a huge process to obtain custody because in NY they prefer the child to stay with the biological parents. I advise clients as a Saratoga Child Custody Lawyer that if you wish to obtain custody of a relative that you must petition the family court for child custody and explain the reasons. Factors that can help your case could include abandonment, unfitness to parent, or consistent neglect.

If you are trying to obtain custody of your niece or nephew in New York, watch this video and contact our experienced Saratoga Child Custody Lawyer.

This informational video was provided by Jennifer Sunderlin Morton, an experienced Saratoga Child Custody Lawyer.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Avvo child custody email series

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer