Written by attorney Ted Harvatin

Non-DUI Driver's License Suspensions and Revocations in Illinois

It is well known that Illinois will revoke or suspend your driver’s license for DUI and DWI convictions. Whether you receive a suspension or revocation and the duration of the suspension or revocation depends on your particular situation. However, DUI is not the only way to lose your driving privileges. It can be quite a rude shock for people when they have their driving privileges suspended or revoked for other offenses.

Illinois law lists 45 non-DUI ways in which your license may be suspended. Most people know that too many tickets, too many accidents, passing a stopped school bus or driving on an expired license can cause a revocation. Your license can be suspended if you are under 21 and receive a ticket for underage drinking, or if you have a fake ID in your possession, even if you do not use it. You can also be suspended for having an open container of alcohol in your vehicle.

Your driving privileges can be revoked if you are convicted of reckless homicide, leaving the scene of an accident involving death or serious personal injury (a 3-year revocation), theft of a motor vehicle, commission of any felony in which a motor vehicle was used, 3 or more reckless driving convictions, aggravated fleeing or eluding or drag racing.

If you commit a violation that results in the revocation of your driving privileges, you must have a hearing with the Secretary of State to obtain driving relief, whether that be a Restricted Driving Permit or full reinstatement. A hearing before the Secretary of State can be a long, involved procedure and quite unfriendly if you do not understand what you are doing.

Before you plead guilty to an offense, you must understand the consequences of that plea. When it comes to your driving privileges, the more you know, the better chance you have of staying on the road.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer