Written by attorney Carl S. Spector

New Jersey DWI Roadblocks - Sobriety Checkpoint Information

Law enforcement agencies around the state of New Jersey including Bergen, Essex, Union, Passaic, Hudson and Morris Counties, etc. all use sobriety checkpoints to enforce DWI and DUI laws throughout the state. These roadblocks or checkpoints are set up at predetermined fixed locations to detect drivers who maybe impaired by alcohol or drugs. Once the checkpoint is set up it will remain in that location for several hours. The police will set up the roadway in such a way as to funnel vehicles into a single lane chute. The police will employ chase cars to deal with drivers that attempt to avoid the checkpoint. Once the single lane is set up the police will direct vehicles into a nearby parking lot based upon a predetermined "count". If you are directed to the holding area a police officer will speak to you and try to determine if you were drinking. If the police believe that you are impaired they will likely have you perform field sobriety tests (FST) to help the police gather additional information as to your condition. If after these FST the police determine that you are likely intoxicated they will place you under arrest and transport you to their police station for breath testing. Be aware that during sobriety checkpoints the police give out summonses for other offenses besides driving while intoxicated. All of these offenses including driving while suspended charges can be challenged by you. There are many potential legal challenges that can be made on your behalf if you were stopped in a DWI checkpoint. If successful, these challenges have the potential of lessening the severity of the consequences of your charges or even the possibility of having your charges dismissed.

Additional resources provided by the author

To find out more about sobriety checkpoints in New Jersey visit the New Jersey office of the Attorney General.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Avvo DUI email series

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer