Written by attorney Carl Michael Shusterman

Naturalization Through Military Service

Immigrants who have served in the US Armed Forces during a time of hostilities are eligible for expedited naturalization.

The Basics Those that have served honorably since September 11, 2001 are eligible to immediately apply for naturalization. This is also true for those who served honorably in a prior conflict (World War II, Korean War, Vietnam War, Gulf War, etc.)

MAVNI In 2008, the Department of Defense established the Military Accessions Vital to the National Interest (MAVNI) program.

Military Dependents Spouses and children of members of the US Armed Forces are also eligible for immigration benefits.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer