Written by attorney Mary Elizabeth King | Jul 10, 2019

My tax return just got selected for audit. Should I call my tax preparer to represent me at the IRS

If your tax return is selected for audit I suggest that you contact a tax attorney to assist you with this. Tax preparers are great at preparing tax returns, however tax attorneys usually know the Revenue Officers and Revenue Agents in the local area and can assist you with submitting the correct documents and formatting them in the way that the Revenue Officers and Revenue Agents prefer. Also, a tax attorney has attorney client privilege with you, and therefore all confidential communications cannot be disclosed to anyone, including the IRS.

Rate this guide

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer